Monday, December 8, 2008

Burrito Sticker Shock

I just had Chipotle for lunch: 1 chicken burrito and 1 soda. Total price? $8.01. What the hell. When did eating a burrito cost so much money? Because "supplier costs" went up? Are all Chipotles charging this much nowadays? I used to go like burritos for lunch because it was cheap and healthy. Now, it's just healthy, sort of.

Considering the economy, I wonder how the increased pricing is effecting sales. I would check their quarterly results but am too lazy to dive into the details of their 10Q. I also wonder if Qdoba has become more expensive as well, or if they are a "cheap" alternative. Quick answer could be the historical performance of their stock, CMG, which reached a peak of $151/share in Dec '07 and has dropped precipitously since, to around $50/share now.

As a side note, I was really impressed with my experience at the cash register. Although I paid with a $20 bill for my $8.01 lunch, the register computed $12 in change. Initially I thought "wow, marketing/sales and finance got together and agreed on something," but that's probably not true. A chicken burrito + soda has to be the second most popular order (right behind a chicken burrito with no drink) and giving out $0.99 to that many customers daily would require a cash register with a HUGE change drawer. And Chipotle can say that they gave something back to their customer. Win-win.

(yes, that was a long side note)

1 comment:

Jason said...

Those burritos are also big enough for two meals. Oh, and that change idea is brilliant.