Friday, March 7, 2008

My Dog Ate My Homework

Did you ever tell the teacher that your dog at your homework in grade school? A good many of you have, which is why the excuse never works. Teachers are expecting it, and very likely, they will scowl at you, maybe even make an example of you by making you lead the discussion in class that day.

In third grade I used a variant of this excuse. It was the "cat peed on my homework" excuse. The truth is, my sister's cat really did pee on my homework, so instead of having it sound like a poor excuse, I brought the evidence with me to class. I put the Ziploc back with the yellow, wet, still smelly papers on my teacher's desk and I was excused from all class discussion for that day. I might as well had the day off.

But the dog eating stuff is what has destroyed my ability to see over the past month, and it has eaten a hole in my wallet because Ive had to buy two new pairs of glasses in that time. I visited my parents in New Jersey about a month ago and stayed overnight. When I woke up, I found my rimless glasses in shambles. Apparently, the German shepherd, Maddie, knocked my glasses off a chair and proceeded to run them over while chasing the cat around the house.

Fast forward two weeks. I wake up on a weekday ready to go to work, only I can't find my new pair of glasses. Oh that's because my corgis have found them on the living room table and decided to play the wishbone game - you know, let's snap them in half and whoever gets the larger piece has good luck for the day. Due to being underage, the corgis in this crime shall remain nameless.

So what does this have to do with the theme of this blog? Maybe nothing, but I decided to go out and buy a pair of glasses while in Taipei. And if you purchase glasses, this should amaze you: I received an eye exam, frames, and lenses with glare reduction for $100. The two pairs of glasses destroyed by the vengeful dogs had cost $750!

To be fair, the frames aren't all that cheap. I got lucky and found a pair of frames that were on clearance and were good quality. It's the free eye exam and the $30 spent on the glasses (with glare reduction as a standard) that is amazing. Next time, I think I'll go to framesdirect.com, but the frames, send them to Taiwan, and have them complete the glasses. Unless shipping is $100, this has to be pseudo-arbitrage.

No comments: