Saturday, March 8, 2008

Tasting Notes: NWA Wines

I hope to have more than one wine post. Anytime you see "Tasting notes", I'm probably referring to wine. About two months ago, a few friends and I decided to become more serious about wine tasting. We are former alcoholics from our college years that drank way too much Pabst, Milwaukee's Best and Natural Ice than any of us would like to admit. Now I don't have a very particular pallet, so if anyone reading this blog has any additional comments to the wines in discussion, please let me know and I'll be sure to post (and yes, I am talking to the three of you who actually read this blog).

These wines were offered on the flight DTW-KIX last week and I wanted to jot them down for my own knowledge and for the benefit of others who may want to try something new:



Schramsberg Mirabelle Brut Sparkling Wine, Non-Vintage:
NWA says - a blend of hand-harvested Napa, Sonoma and Mendocina county Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes. Green apple and jasmine fragrance filled out by tropical fruit notes. Bright citrus entry on the palate ending with subtle honey and caramel cream.

Travel guy says - I was given this drink when boarding the plane, and I must say that it was very refreshing. Nothing amazing, but it was sweet and smooth, with no bitterness.

Google Shopping result: $25; maybe worthwhile, though I don't have a lot of champagne comparisons



2004 Artesa Meritage
NWA says - an intriguing blend of red Bordeaus and Rhone varietals, this wine is predominately Merlot sourced from Napa and Sonoma Valleys. Bright cheery and raspberry flavors predominate. cinnamon, clove, leather (wtf?), cigar box (okay, this is getting stupid), and chocolate provide counterpoint to the red berry fruit.

Travel guy says - okay, I don't know where these descriptions are coming from, but this was easily my favorite wine of the day. It was flavorful and contained a sweet and sour appeal while remaining a dry wine. I don't know about all those flavors mentioned in the NWA description, but the wine is certainly worth a try.

Google Shopping result: $14; I'd say a bargain



2005 Alexandar Valley Vineyards Estate Syrah - Alexander Valley
NWA says: Heady aromas of blueberries, sandalwood and a subtle nose of violets. On the palate, rich flavors of blackberries, allspice, and a hint of menthol and black licorice. The whole package is underscored by notes of vanilla which dissipate as the wine opens up in the glass:

Travel guy says - Menthol? Do you really want to drink a wine that tastes of menthol? I don't, and I thought this wine was quite unimpressive. Terrible aftertaste without much flavor. Maybe it was the overwhelming inclusion of methanol that doomed this wine. Menthol?

Google Shopping result: $21; go ahead, waste your money



2006 Bouchard Pere & fils Pouilly-Fuisse
NWA says: a chardonnay varietal produced in the Proully Fuisse-Maconnais region of France (no shit). Typical aromas with fruit and floral notes. A perfumed, silky and elegant wine good on its own with fish of all kinds.

Travel Guy says - what happened. All the red wines had at least five descriptions of the taste. This description is vague, as if to say "we had to add one more wine, this one was as cheap as hell and it has a funny sounding French name, so let's add it to the list". I would say that the wine was average. I didn't notice an oakiness to the wine (is that a word?), and it had a nice taste upon hitting the tongue, but I wouldn't say it left the best aftertaste. I wouldn't buy this to impress the girl.

Google Shopping result: $25; my favorite chardonnays are in the $40 range, so my guess is this is a good wine for the price.

No comments: