Thursday, March 6, 2008

Non-English

My wife's family doesn't leave the house until 1:30PM on weekdays. Well, the dad works a regular job, so he leaves in the morning, but the mom is a day trader and watches the stock market on TV until it closes. Thank goodness for her that it closes earlier than 4pm I guess.

Stocks are flashing across the screen and I really have no clue what's going on. To be honest, it's not much different than watching CNNMoney, and although I do understand finance, I never understood CNN Money. Why waste time day trading when you can throw your money into the S&P 500 and pretty much gaurantee a 10% return? Well the in-laws seem to make good money doing this, so maybe I'm out of touch...

Anyway, I decided to walk around town while the market was still open. To my suprise, anyone I walked up to would start speaking to me in Mandarin. I'm thinking, why the hell are they trying to speak to me in a language that I probably don't know? Why aren't they trying to speak to me in English?

If the situation was reversed, my thinking wouldn't be. Why the hell would a foreigner in the US try to speak to me in a langague that isn't English? Don't they know its rude to expect me, an American, to speak a different langague?

Idiots.

No comments: